Pages

Tuesday, May 28, 2013

Love lasagna?

I'm off for a few days R & R with some friends-leaving His Lordship to fend for himself. Ergo, rather than let the poor man set the kitchen on fire starve, I've put together some meals for him to feed himself with until I return. :)

1kg of beef mince for $6 can be used in a variety of ways-but as His Lordship LOVES lasagne whipping one up was a no-brainer (using 750g of the mince). I also used the other 250g to make up some small meatballs to serve in a rich tomato sauce over pasta.

How do you stretch your mince?

Cooking is not the tidiest of occupations.....

The stovetop where the béchamel sauce and meatballs in rich tomato sauce are doing their thing....

Lasagna ready to go in the oven-I add enough cheese to the béchamel that I don't need more over the top.

6 comments:

  1. Oh, that lasagne looks absolutely delicious!! My best stretch is 500gms of mince.... I pad it out with lots of vegetables and make a Bolognese type sauce. Let it simmer for at least an hour to develop an amazing rich flavour. First night over pasta (with fresh parmesan... drool), second night it goes into a pasta bake - with sour cream and cream cheese mixed through the penne, and then layered like a lasagne. There's even enough left over for my lunch the next day! That's at least 9 servings from the one lot of mince. And the family love it, which is the best part :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've also added red lentils to mince to make a beef ragu-which does help it go a long way! This lasagne will be 8 serves-plus the 2 or 3 meals of meatballs. Mince is the most versatile & frugal of options IMO. :)

      Delete
  2. Looks delicious , love your blog x

    ReplyDelete
  3. I also add lots of veg, even grate some so the kids will eat them without realizing. LOL

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yes- I often used to add grated carrots & zucchini when the children were younger and going through one of their " I don't eat THAT!" phases. :)

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...